A mouthguard is not just to save your teeth from sustaining an injury. A correctly fitted mouthguard will protect your entire mouth by cushioning a blow and distributing the force of the impact, helping to prevent jaw fractures.
Custom-made Mouthguards from Boroondara Dental
If you or any members of your family take part in contact sport or recreational activities where there is a risk of a facial injury, a custom-made mouthguard from Boroondara Dental will provide the best protection.
Having a custom-made mouthguard will enable you to breathe easier and speak more clearly.
There is an extensive range of mouthguards available from pharmacies and sporting goods stores, which are made from a lower quality material than customised mouthguards. Although they are cheaper and better than no mouthguard at all, they only provide minimal protection as they are shaped by boiling in water, biting down and sucking.
These types of mouthguards can impede your ability to talk and breathe easily and cause gum irritation as they do not fit snugly and as such allow for excess movement.
A mouthguard is just as important for children to protect their developing teeth and facial bone structure. If your child’s tooth is fractured, knocked out or they receive a jaw injury, it may result dental complications that require extensive long-term restorative treatments.
Your smile is your most important asset and should have the best protection possible. Talk to one of our team members today about making a custom-made mouthguard for you.
Caring for Mouthguards in Balwyn
Caring for your mouthguard:
- Clean your mouthguard in warm soapy water (not hot) after each time you wear it to prevent the build-up of bacteria
- Store your mouthguard in a plastic container that has several holes so it can dry completely, this will prevent bacterial growth.
- Do not leave your mouthguard in direct sunlight or in a car, as heat can damage it.
- Do not chew on the edges, twist or bend your mouthguard as this can alter its shape and prevent it from fitting snugly over your teeth and reduce its effectiveness
- Your mouthguard is custom-made for you – do not share it with others.